Some time ago, I received an email from a reader who had asked me to offer more breakfast recipes because it lacked variety. I dragged myself a bit because I am not an awesome breakfast myself. I tend to have porridge (or oatmeal if you live in the US) in winter and muesli to birch in the summer. From time to time, I'll buy a bagel or leavened toast with almond butter and jam, or a stack of pancakes if I'm in a festive mood. And a cup of good black coffee! Now it's a must because my inability to get up in the morning is almost legendary !! It's just as well that I do not have any more work (I do not know how I never managed to do it) nor the children to feed (no, I did not drown them, I never had any ... ).


It's not that I skip breakfast, I'm never so eager to eat in the morning, which is rather controversial between Duncan and me. He hardly ever talks to me before eating and I learned not to fight anymore. His bad temper before breakfast, an innocent bystander, had really bothered me in the past.

This morning, I had a glimpse of what it must be like to be a Duncan before breakfast. I got up at 6:30 because of an early appointment at the hospital. It was too early to eat (in addition, I wanted to minimize my waking time), so I decided to take something home or eat after my return home. Unfortunately, there was no decent vegan breakfast option this morning and the appointment was almost an hour late. So I did not go home until 11am. Until then, I had only one white and flat soy. I was ravenous when I walked in and I'm not in the mood for chatting either.


So I come back to my readers' request: these vegan potato skins with smoked chickpeas are a tasty breakfast choice I can have. Both components can be prepared one day in advance and then warmed in the morning. In fact, preparing the chickpeas in advance improves their flavors, that's what I would recommend. These are gluten-free equivalents of beans on toast, full of vegetal benefits and excellent for using leftovers (they were inspired by a bag of potato Maris Piper that I had forgotten). They go very well with a spoonful of vegan yogurt and a pinch of fresh herbs. A slightly crushed lawyer would not be moved here either, but it's totally optional. These bad boys are not complicated to prepare, hearty and warm and are an interesting change from your usual breakfast rate.


makes: 8 skins prep: 30 min cooking: 60 min

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 medium sized potatoes (I used the variety Maris Piper)
  • olive oil
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon of cumin
  • ½-1 tsp. Smoked paprika
  • 1-2 c. Chilli ancho paste, adjust to taste
  • 400 g high quality Italian tomatoes
  • ½ c. In salt tea, adjust to taste
  • black pepper, to taste
  • 1 C. In syrup or date sugar (optional), adjust to taste
  • a lime fillet, optional
  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
  • thick vegan yoghurt or vegan sour cream, serve



METHOD

  1. Thoroughly rub the potatoes and boil them for about 15 minutes (from the moment the water comes to a boil). Once parboiled, drain them and allow them to cool completely.
  2. While the potatoes are cooling, heat 2 tbsp. Soup of olive oil in a saucepan. Fry the shallots and garlic until the shallots are translucent and the garlic is soft.
  3. Add the spices and ancho pepper paste and add the shallot and garlic mixture. Fry gently for one minute, stirring frequently so that the spices do not burn.
  4. Add the Italian tomatoes and all their juice to the pan, crushing the tomatoes with a fork. Then add a box of water (I rinse my box with water) and salt. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened. Add a little water if the pan is too dry before the tomatoes have had the chance to cook thoroughly.
  5. Taste and season with more salt (if necessary), pepper, sugar and lime juice.
  6. Stir in cooked chickpeas and allow them to warm. Adjust the consistency of the sauce to your liking by adding a little water to detach it a little. If you can, let the sauce sit overnight so that the flavors improve.
  7. Heat the oven to 180 ° C and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
  8. Cut the chilled potatoes in half lengthwise (cut them so that the halves obtained are stable). Using a melon spoon or a corer, scoop up most of the meat, leaving about 1/8-inch (1/8-inch) of flesh .
  9. Brush the exposed potato meat with a little olive oil and season with salt. Bake for about 20 minutes, then light the oven at 250 ° C and move the tray with the potatoes up a notch. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until edges are golden brown.
  10. Fill each skin with potatoes and chickpeas. Serve with a spoonful of vegan yogurt, a pinch of black pepper and fresh herbs.

NOTES
Do not throw the dumplings, they make the best UFO fries! Coat in olive oil, season and bake at 250 ° C / 480 ° F until golden and crisp. We had them the next day with leftover garnish.

Vegan potato skins :